Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

tecumseh 16 hp ohv side shaft It has new head piston rings

tecumseh 16 hp ohv side shaft It has new head piston rings runs strong 140 compression starts easy fires about 15 20 times then white smoke for about 15 secondes then clears out dose not smoke again till it sets over night what is it ? Also added fuel shut off in line and let it run out of gas still smokes next day. thank you bob

There are several things that it could be. First, it could be that the rings and/or piston and cylinder may be worn. This is a very old engine.

Second it could be a warped head.

Third it could be the o-rings seals on the valve guides that are leaking and need replaced.

fourth, it could be the valve guides themselves that are worn out.

5th. It could be a carburetor that is bypassing too much fuel and filling the oil pan with gas...thinning it out and causing the oil to go places where it shouldn't.

There are the most common issues.

Good luck.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thank

I read your feedback, and Yes I did read everything. This still doesn't change anything. The problem still is most likely in one of these areas. Most likely in the o-rings on the valve guide tubes. You also did not mention in your first question that the valves were new as you said in your feedback.

There is still something wrong in either the valve train or the cylinder. Also if you did not have the cylinder bored out and install a new, oversized piston and ring set, your problem could lie in the fact that the cylinder is out of round and/or worn. Even with new rings, if the cylinder is out of round, you will get this and other proablems.

I hope this helps a little more.

Edited by Ranwell1 on 1/8/2010 at 2:31 AM EST

There is still something wrong in either the valve train or the cylinder. Also if you did not have the cylinder bored out and install a new, oversized piston and ring set, your problem could lie in the fact that the cylinder is out of round and/or worn. Even with new rings, if the cylinder is out of round, you will get this and other problems.

I hope this helps a little more.