J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have an 8 hp YardMchine MTD Snowthrower. The auger cable

I have an 8 hp YardMchine MTD Snowthrower. The auger cable has snapped. Seems like it should be fairly easy repair. Is there a step by step available?

thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
The cable is simple. Just take the old one off and put the new one on and connect both ends.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't get cable until tomorrow - can I shoot you an email if I run into any problems?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I haven't been back to you on this. I finally replaced the auger clutch cable and it was a little work, but I finally got it done.

Strangely enough, yesterday the traction control cable seems to have snapped. It appears that this requires removing the frame cover and getting inside the snowblower. Does this make sense for me if I know nothing about small engines?

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

That cable will be a little more work, but if you just look at the routing you should have no trouble.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will it involve turning the snowblower over, or can I do it with it on the garage floor?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
It will make it easier if you turn it on its side or better yet if you can hoist it up.