TaxTom
TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Operated Lawn Mower business for 20 years. Can find manuals and parts for many brands.

I have a Craftsman Snowthrower model 536.887992. I noticed

I have a Craftsman Snowthrower modelNNN-NN-NNNN I noticed that the ground wire (part #35187) connector is hanging free under the gas tank. Where is it supposed to connect? I can't see anyplace where it might go, but I am not sure where to look?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, There are wires in your harness that you may not use, is there anything that is not working properly? Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure if it is related or not. The engine starts OK, but it did not want to keep running after less than a minute or so. The engine RPM went up and down, and then shut down. I could restart it with no difficulty. This problem seemed to be working itself out, but I had to leave it before I could try to keep it running.

I noticed this condition after putting the snowthrower back together after checking the belts, which are OK. The snowthrower was up on the auger housing during this process.

It was while checking the machine over that I noticed that the ground wire was not attached to anything on the one end. This wire does not appear to be part of a wiring harness, either on the machine or in the exploded engine diagram. What I could not find, of course, was a picture of how and to what it is connected. It also seems counter intuitive that one could order a replacement part whose plastic fitting is essentially not connected to anything.

Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm having trouble pulling up your unit, so it mya take me a few minutes. ThanksTom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, okay I looked the unit over and we have two possibilities. One: The wire goes to the throttle plate so when you bring the throttle all the way down it grounds the coil out and kills the engine. The second possibility is that this engine is used on applications with a key switch and this wire is used when the have a wire going up to the handlebar kill switch. I know the logic says that would mark the wire as not needed on this unit but it seems they list it anyway. Your problem seems to be in the carburetor and as you say it may work itself out and may be flooded somewhat. This sounds off please check your oil and see that it has no smell of gas. Thank You Tom
TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Operated Lawn Mower business for 20 years. Can find manuals and parts for many brands.