Chris Huber
Chris Huber, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician. Dealer for most engine lines.

I have a Craftsman II snow blower(model c950-52719-7) that

I have a Craftsman II snow blower(model c950-52719-7) that the auger stopped least it doesn't throw any snow. i did half the drieway and then it just stopped working, but it was through some heavy, wet snow and i hit a few rocks(say some sparks fly). i got a bag of flyers, that are thrown into my driveway weekly, caught in the auger a few weeks ago(happened last year too). but it worked fine once i got it unjammed. I put it in the garage to unthaw but just started it again today and the auger still doesn't want to work.

ive had friends say to check the shear pins or the belts but i have no idea how to get into there. i looked for the manual online( i found it last year when i was in need of a part), but couldn't find anything.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 6 years ago.
graphicIn front of the engine is a plastic cover with 2 3/8" size bolts holding it down. Remove that cover to access the belts. The one closest to the engine is the transmission belt, the outer one is for the auger. Make sure the belt is tight when the auger handle is actuated. If so, the shear pins are in front, and key the auger to the output shafts of the gear box. Your friend are right, both items are the first things to check. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I took off the plastic part and found that the transmission belt was broken. I'm on the way to get a new one, could you help me with instructions on how to install it properly? Also, would you know the part number?

The model you gave me doesn't come up on the sears data base. Are you sure that is the number? Also, the belt has the part number on it, sometimes when it breaks it is still ledgable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I found the whole diagram for it online last year, but now i can't find it anywhere. i called my local part store and they tracked it down from the model number i gave them(I'm in Canada, so that might be the problem). So now i just need to put it on. Its a Craftsman II Snow King 8.5/27.

Well, you already have the belt cover off, push up on the handles and stand the machine up on its end. It should stay put. Remove the lower belly pan to expose the bottom of the pulleys. Slip the new belt around the big pulley first, then around the crankshaft. The flat idler pulley rides on the back side of the belt. You will need to remove the outer belt in order to replace the trans belt. If it is too difficult to get around the crank pulleys, put it around the crank pulley's first, then go around the big pulley. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is putting it on its end going to let any gas out? i know i tipped it up the other way to get a better look at the jam out of the auger and eventually gas leaked out and filled the garage with fumes.

If the tank is full it may. Take a sandwich bag, unscrew the fuel cap, placed a bag over the tank, and screw the cap on tight. That will keep it from leaking while it is on it's end.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have it on it's end and have the belly pan off. I tried to slip the belt on the big pulley, but there is a piece in the way. It's on the right hand side of the first picture, right above the big pulley. The first picture was taken from the bottom of the machine and the second from the top looking down.graphic

All the belt keepers are spring loaded, but if it is a brace, you may need to remove one end to allow clearance. I couldn't make out exactly what part you meant. A slight pry may be in order if the belt won't slip between the parts. I use a 18" screw driver to push the belt through tight spots. Maybe that will help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem i'm having is getting the belt past the metal piece that extends over the upper right side of the big pulley in the first picture i posted. I've tried prying the piece up but it doesnt budge. its connected to the auger drive and when the auger handle is pressed down it moves a bit but not enough to get the belt through.
That would be the brake, or belt keeper. When you engage the auger cable and it moves, can you pry it away from the pulley more? I sometimes get the belt into the pulley, right up to where it needs to enter the guide area and turn the pulley to help. Sometimes a little squirt of WD40 is in order too. If the brake moves with the cable, it has to be secured with a pivot bolt, that can be loosend to give you the extra 1/4" you need. I would try to roll it in first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got it on. I had to take the auger housing apart from the frame to get room to slip the belt on. Thanks for your help.