sam the tech
sam the tech, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated a small engine shop for 10 years. Certified tech. for Briggs,Kohler,Honda,Kawasaki

I have an ariens snowblower, and the engine wont turn over.

Customer Question

I have an ariens snowblower, and the engine won't turn over. Tried new spark plug and checked oil and gas... what's next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  sam the tech replied 6 years ago.

Check for spark take out the spark plug and reconnect spark plug wire hold tip of spark plug against a metal part of the engine with insulated pliers and turn over engine. If you see a good blue spark take a soda bottle cap full of gas and pour it in the spark plug hole reinstall plug and try to start engine. If it starts for a few seconds you need to remove disassemble and soak clean carb in carb cleaner. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did what you said, and it did start for a second, and then died. how do I clean the carborator? Is this something I can do myself?

First remove the bolt that holds the carb bowl on this bolt should have two or there holes through the side of it and one down the center make sure all those holes are open and clean. Reinstall and try to start if it still don't start or don't run smooth the carb will need to be completely disassembled all rubber pieces removed and the rest soaked in carb cleaner. As far is if you can do it you will have to know that. You don't need any special tools but you need to get the dip kind carb cleaner. If you have a good repair center close i would just remove he carb and let them clean it.