J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

my toro snowblower is back firing and will not start

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Is the fuel fresh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, just bought it and mixed it w/ the proper amount of 2 cyc oil
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Was the snow blower stored with fuel left in the carb from the last time it was used?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we just had a heavy snowstorm and I've been using it for 2 days and it has been running fine. I've had to refill it twice from the same fuel supply and it's been running fine. I stopped using it and went back to restart it and it tried to start it and it then back fired and will not start. I let it sit for an hour, tried again and it back fires a couple of times but will not start.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Take the spark plug out of it. Turn the ignition switch to off. Pull the starter rope and see if excessive fuel comes out the spark plug hole. You may have a needle valve in the carb leaking that caused the engine to flood. After you pull it over a few times dry the plug off and then put the plug back in and try to start it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
followed the above instructions, replaced the spark plug with a new one. Tried to start, same problem, when I plu the cord, it back fires through the exhaust
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

If it still backfires, then you may have sheared the flywheel key. To check this you will have to remove the recoil starter and then take the flywheel off of the engine. Backfiring is usually a sign that the timing is out on a 2 cycle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is this something a novice can do with limited tools and experience
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
It requires a puller to get the flywheel off most of the time, so if you do not have a special flywheel puller then no you would not be able to get the flywheel off.