Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

HMSK80-155545V the exaust is glowing red hot. Clean carb not

HMSK80-155545V the exaust is glowing red hot. Clean carb not the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
How did you clean the carb?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used a torch tip cleaner with multiple sizes. I also installed a new float point.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

If you are certain the carburetor is clear and not running lean, I would check for air leaks around the base gasket to see if it may be leaning out that way. Are you using regular fuel and not premium?

Have you checked the flywheel key for partial shearing, throwing it out of time? Otherwise, the most likely thing is a bad-seating exhaust valve.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
standard grade gas
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
What about the air leaks and flywheel key?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure how to look for air leaks and not sure were the flywheel key is. Sorry lol i'm just not to great with engines. I can do the simple stuff but willing to learn. I would have brought it to a mechanic but have no way of getting there.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
I understand. Does the engne seem to be running normally other than the glowing muffler, or is it running rough? Hard to start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not hard to start now that I cleaned out the carb. It does run normally. It does spit a little when running. now that i cleaned out the carb, I turn on the gas and it starts dripping out of the carb. Just another problem add to my delama
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

If you are dripping gas out the carb, that's either a misadjusted or damaged float, or a bad needle and seat. That'll be an easy fix.

Since it starts easily, the flywheel key probably is okay. The sputtering could be due to the extra fuel in the carburetor, or you may have an exhaust valve sticking which would also account for the hot muffler.

How much time is on the engine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used it about 6 times last year and about the smae the year before. Only takes a couple of hours to do my driveway if that. Was running good last year. I did use some Seafoam this fall when I took it out of storage, but that has been cleaned out and fresh gas put in.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Something I forgot to ask is what temperature you're running it in now? Unlesss it's cold and snowy, the muffler may be margianlly normal if you're in a warmer area and it's not well-lit. The snow engines have shrouds around them to help contain the heat.

Edited by Rick on 12/19/2009 at 9:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm in Minesota. 20degs
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like the exhaust valve then. If the valve isn't fully closing, when the fuel is detonated by the plug on the combustion stroke, the burning gases will make their way past the valve into the exhaust, causing excessive heat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ideas on how to fix that problem.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

The valve seat will need to be re-cut using a special cutter that puts three angles on the seat, a new valve installed, and the base of the valve stem ground square in a grinder to get the proper clearance using a special jig. It sounds more involved than it really it, but without specialized equipment, it's really a job for a service dealer to perform.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yep, to much for me. One more question. Can the seat in the be pushed up to far that the needle isn't sealing?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Not likely. The seat will stop against the body of the carburetor. But it needs to be installed with the tiny ridge toward the carb body, or it sometimes slips back down. The direction of the needle hanger makes a difference too. The open end of the hanger wire should point to the choke side of the carburetor. Finally, the float does need to be adjusted. There is a bendable tab the needle hanger wire rides on that can be bent with a small screwdriver. This controls the point where the fuel is shut off. With the rubber bowl gasket removed, the edge of the float on the side opposite the hinge pin should be 11/64" away from the carb body. A drill bit makes a good gauge.

graphic

Edited by Rick on 12/19/2009 at 9:24 PM EST
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.