Dan Oostdyk
Dan Oostdyk, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in small engine repair business, Quality control education.
23999375

My toro 421 snowblower wont start. I just replaced the spark

My toro 421 snowblower won't start. I just replaced the spark plug, put fresh gas in the tank turned the gas line on and it seems like no fuel is getting to the engine. If I spray starter fluid in the carb it will start for a second or two but then it shuts right off. Any help would be great, we just got dumped on with 12 inches of snow today. Thanks JAG
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Dan Oostdyk replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you have a carb that is dirty or has varnish built up in it. You will need to remove the carb and clean it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tried that yesturday but still have the same problem.

Something is not right in the carb try to losen the bottom nut that holds the fuel bowl and see if gas will leak out. If you do not get gas to leak out then you need to check the needle and seat in carb. If you have gas leaking out then you have some thing pluged in the main jet on the bottom of the carb.