cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
26074928

I have a lawn boy snow thrower model (320e) model # 28222

I have a lawn boy snow thrower model (320e) model # XXXXX 7904....... =serial number. It wont start and i know why. I failed to drain it last year . Each time I do this I bring it in and servcie clean out engine or carburator. I did not have time to do this and we expect a major snow storm tomorrow. Can someone walk me through fixing this at home? Are there any online instructions about what to do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 5 years ago.

I think I can help you. I think you are right about the carburetor job, but first

lets do a quick test that will tell us if you have fire(ignition to your plug) and compression. Take the air filter cover and air filter off of your engine. Now, we are going to prime the engine with some gasoline, or spray carburetor cleaner. Squirt a small amount of carburetor cleaner, or a small amount of FRESH gasoline into the throat of the carburetor. Now try to start it. If it starts up with the priming you just did, you know you've got compression and fire. If it dies shortly after you've primed it, you'll know you have a fuel and or carburetor issue. Try that and let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Kyle

cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience: 15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wan t to try that, but I firsrt have to take the thing apart to get to the parts you mentioned. Can you either send me more instrcutions or link me with instructions/diagrams to get to the parts/places you mnetion and then so I can do your qiick test?

graphic

reference numbers 250, 245, and 245B, will have to come off and that will expose the throat of your carburetor(#380) so that you can squirt your carburetor cleaner or gasoline for the test. Let me know what else you need if anything.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This looks very complicatred . I need to know where to start . How do I access the above areas . I need to know where the "hood" is to look under . Do you have a diagram of the model , which you can say" go to screw such and such , then lift off panel, then find carburetor" etc? Can you tell me what kind of tools I will need? does 250, 245, 245b have names? are they the air filter and airfilter cover? You call this a "quick test" but it looks like you have to take many parts off to get to 250, 245, 245b. Please advise

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how does this work, do i have to pay for every question related to my primary question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a lawn boy snow thrower model (320e) model #NNN-NN-NNNN...... =serial number. It wont start and i know why. I failed to drain it last year . Each time I do this I bring it in and servcie clean out engine or carburator. I did not have time to do this and we expect a major snow storm tomorrow. Can someone walk me through fixing this at home? Are there any online instructions about what to do?

Optional Information:
Make: lawn boy snowthrwer 28222 (320e)#
Model: 28222

Already Tried:
nothing just tried to use electric starter

(Online) -- 1 Accept / 3 Questions

No, you accept the answer only if you are satisfied with it. Heres a diagram of the shrouds that will need to come off of your snowthrower to expose your engine so you can do this test.

If you look at ref # XXXXX and ref# XXXXX in the diagram, you'll see that 4 is a fuel cap and 19 is a muffler guard. They both are attatched to the main shroud. Ref # XXXXX is the main shroud that will need to come off to get at your engine. The diagram shows all the screws and bolts that will need to come out to get that part off.

graphic

Once you get that shroud off if you look at the previous diagram I sent of the engine, 250 is the air filter cover, 245 is the air filter, and 245 b is a prefilter. All of those parts will need to come off before you can do the prime test. Once you get it torn down to the carburetor and try the priming test, let me know what happens, and I can walk you through the carburetor cleaning once you get there.