cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair

EX1000 generator s/n A RM4880 Only putting out 70 VAC and

Customer Question

EX1000 generator s/n A RM4880
Only putting out 70 VAC and 10VDC. What might be the problem and how can it be troubleshot?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 4 years ago.

You may have already done this, but check your breaker(s) on your control panel to see if they have been tripped. If you find that they haven't been tripped let me know and we'll take the diagnosis of your problem another direction.

Thanks,

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Breakers have not tripped, engine rpm seems to be correct.

Ok. Your low voltage can be due to an open or shorted winding in your stator or your rotor. Checking the windings might be best left to your local small engine shop. Each individual winding was painstakingly insulated by the manufacturer and the wires in each should not be touching each other, or be touching ground. Each winding has its own acceptable ohm reading range and if any of those windings read outside that range, or show open line(or no reading) then that winding is bad. You'll need a wiring diagram to know which wires to ohm out, and you'll also need the manufacturer's specifications for each winding which is why I recommend your local small engine shop take a look at it unless you've got the right tools and feel comfortable enough tackling it yourself. Let me know how you feel about doing this yourself and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am able to check windings w/multimeter. Need to know color coding of wires @ connectors for each winding as well as their respective ohm ranges.

Ok, take a look at the generator again and pull the complete serial number from it. It looks like there are only two model/serial options for your model, but I want to make sure I'm relaying the correct information to you. Let me know.

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
S/N is: A RM4880

I've only got about half the information you need, and it will be tomorrow before I can get the rest, so let me give you what I've got in the meantime. I've attatched an image of the wiring diagram to this message. With the diagram, you'll be able to test each winding for Open Line(no reading), continuity to ground, and continuity to each other winding. Remember, open line, continuity to ground, or continuity to another winding means your winding is bad, and your stator will have to be replaced. I will respond with the ohm readings for each winding in the stator and the rotor tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kyle

graphic

cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience: 15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kyle,

I must thank you very much for your efforts. After disassembling the generator section of my EX1000 and performing all the troubleshooting procedures outlined in a printout provided by my local dealer it was determined that nothing was wrong. I was visited by a friend during the reassembling of the machine. He suggested that we read the voltage while varying the engine RPM. What a novel idea! After a couple of turns on the governor adjustment screw, Voila!!!, 120 volts!! My face is covered with egg!!

Once again I thank you for your help. This organization (justanswer.com) is first rate in my book!

Customer/p>

Ok, great! I actually made a drive to my closest Honda service dealer yesterday and consulted his service manual, and it didn't even have the ohm ratings for the windings. What it did have was a flow chart to diagnose problems that started out with a check of the RPM of the engine. I'm glad to hear you've got it running and I appreciate the bonus. The document I got yesterday is 4 pages, please let me know if you would like me to scan them in and send them to you here on JA.

Thanks and good luck to you!

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kyle,

I would appreciate it very much if you could send the information that you have.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Customer/p>

Surely, here you go. And let me know if you need anythign else.

Kyle

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic