Chris Huber
Chris Huber, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician. Dealer for most engine lines.
15271698

Hello... I have a Troy Bilt Snowblower 2410 less than a year

Hello... I have a Troy Bilt Snowblower 2410 less than a year old. It ran fine last winter but now I cant start it. I have the choke open and primed it several times but it just wont fire up. I have used the electric starter and used some dry gas in case of water in the tank but so far no success. Any tips would be appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 4 years ago.
You may have an ignition problem, even though the most common problem with snowblowers is in fact the fuel system. Disconnect the spark plug wire, insert a screwdriver and hold that screwdriver a quarter of an inch away from the tip of the sparkplug or any other source of ground. Crank the engine and watch for a blue Spark. If there is a spark the likely problem is the fuel system. let me know if that is the case then I will give you instructions on how to repair the carburetor. if you have spark, the gas you put in the intake should've made the engine pop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no spark. Bad plug?
Not if you're checking it from the wire. Did you use the screwdriver, or just remove the spark plug and ground it? If their spark coming from the wire, but not jumping the gap on the plug then yes, you need to replace to Spark plug. if you don't have spark coming out over the wire, to the right of the throttle lever and see if there is a green wire going up to a plastic key switch. If so disconnect that wire and try again. Let me know what you find
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I removed the spark plug wire and put the screwdriver next to the tip of the plug... then I pressed the electric starter but it didnt sent a spark.
Okay, do you see a green wire underneath the metal cover for the carburetor? There should be two if it is the engine that I think it is. Let me know.

Edited by Chris Huber on 12/15/2009 at 4:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im an idiot. how do I get to the carb?
Never mind, I see by a random search that you have the Chinese Honda knock off engine. This repair is unfortunately going to have to go to an authorized Troy built dealer, because either the ignition coil has failed, or the ignition switch has failed. I saw that Troy built went exclusively to this engine, and wondered how long it would be until the questions started flowing in.
You can find your nearest dealer by following this link:
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchServiceView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=14102&topNav=3

if you want to see if something is grounding the ignition system simply disconnect any wire you see and try the engine. If it starts, the coil is good, but whatever you unplugged is grounding out the ignition system. good luck and I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you further.
Chris Huber, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician. Dealer for most engine lines.