Curtis
Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Factory trained in residential small engine equipment
24744913

My Toro snowthrower will go only in reverse no matter what

Customer Question

My Toro snowthrower will go only in reverse no matter what gear i put it in.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis replied 6 years ago.
Hello Ginger. I sounds like the speed selector on you machine needs re-adjustment. Tip the machine forward and let it rest upright on the auger housing. Removing the plate on the bottom of the machine, between the wheels, uncovers the drive. Follow the gear selector shaft down from the handle bars, and you should see a flange that holds the shaft adjustment. If the bolt on this adjustment has come loose, it would cause the problem you describe. The selector shaft moves the friction wheel, a rubber tired wheel in the same area of the machine we're looking at, right or left depending on the direction you select. My guess is that when you select a direction this wheel doesn't move due to loose linkage. Adjustment is described in the owner's manual. If you don't have your manual, I'll include a link where you can download one for your machine or one that's similar. Most drives work with similar components. When properly adjusted the friction wheel will move to one side of the friction disc; the rubber tired wheel contacts this at right angles; for forward and to the other side of center for reverse.The diagrams in the manual describe this more in detail. I hope this helps. Curtis http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com