Carey (Turtle) Moore
Carey (Turtle) Moore, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands

I have a John Deere 726 snowblower built in the 1960s. I do

I have a John Deere 726 snowblower built in the 1960s. I do routine maintenance in fall. Last spring I closed the gas line with the engine running to empty the gas line. After an oil change, new spark plug and grease, it doesn't want to start. With full choke, a couple of times it did start but stalled after just a few seconds. I pulled the carborator cover off and saw one time when it did start, a control link running from the engine block to the carborator shifted position as it stalled. I tried a carb spray cleaner. That didn't help. I tried pressing the spring loaded cap that can cover the carb for cold temp starts. That didnt' help. In several attempts, it has started a few time but stalls after a few seconds.
Can you explain what the control linkage from the engine block to the caborator does and suggest how I might fix the snow blower?
Thanks,
Doug Freeman XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Carey (Turtle) Moore replied 4 years ago.

The condition you have is created by restricted passages in the high and low speed circuits. I need a litte information on this engine. Is this engine a Kohler single cylinder?

Thanks

Turtle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's a Tecumseh 7 hp Snow-King H70. One sparkplug, so expect a single cylinder. The spring loaded cap I mentioned is the primer button on the carburetor.

Lost my post did you get the post on carburetor. I found that is a Tecumseh.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did not see your post on carburetor. You asked about the engine and I replied:

ok, I found it this is a Tecumseh. Clamp off your fuel supply line to the carburetor. Look on the bottom of the carb and you will see a nut with an adjusting screw. Loosen to remove the screw from the bowl nut. Place paper towels to catch fuel that comes out. Use a 7/16 wrench and remove the bowl nut that the screw came out of. Once you get it out look at it closely. You will notice some small holes in it and you need to locate each. #1 is the large hole that runs the length of the nut. #2 one on each side of the lower threads. #3 is the most important to find Very Very small one 3/4 of the way up it is very hard to see and most technicians overlook. Clean this bowl nut of debris in these holes. Now we need to remove the bowl from carburetor. Grab it and give it a little twist like you going to open a jar and then pull off. I need to know what you see when you get this off. If it is cake like and sticky or green and or brown inside the bowl. Remember on your reply help me visualize what you see. Then we will can continue.

Thanks

Turtle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am unable to do this right now. Can we pick up tomorrow night? I'll be available atXXXXX I can leave this window open till then. Not sure how the Just Answer system works.

We can wait or I can give some details to complete repair if you like. I really want to be correct with my answers to you for the proper repair. My accept ratio and feedback is very important and very tough at times. Just Answer is one of the most benefical at a low cost to our customers and we want you to return and continue using us.

Turtle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If we can wait, that would be fine with me, assuming we can pick up from here without another deposit in my account.

Only accept after your satisfied. No other deposits need to be made. The money will only be withdrawn if you click on the ACCEPT button. This post needs to be replied to by tomorrow evening or it will time out. If it does repost with my name Carey or Turtle and we can continue. Thanks and have a great evening.

Turtle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Turtle, I'm back. Hope you are. Did the requested work. The bowl appears to cover a donut shaped metal ring hinged on one edge. Looks like a float of some kind.

In the bowl there is just a brown gas-colored film. It's even over the whole surface. When I wipe it with a paper towel, some of the thin film wipes away but the metal of the bowl remains gas colored. Not too dirty.

There is no caking, sticking or green color in the bowl. I also cleaned the screw needle that was in the bowl nut.

ok, How much debris was in the bowl nut? If you cleaned that we should be ready to go. Now that you can see the float do not remove it. Make sure it moves freely up and down. How much fuel came out of the bowl? Also did you find all three holes in bowl nut screw?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there was little to no debris in the bowl. Just a few drops of gas were in the bowl. The nut had to some stuff in the holes. I cleaned out. Of course there,s the hole that runs the length. I found the very small hole about a quarter of the way down. and one larger hole about half way down the nut.

BTW, i have to leave again in about 10 minutes.

Ok, you found your restrictions. Reassemble and make sure the bowl gasket and the bowl seal correctly or the primer will not function correctly. The lower adjusting screw reinstall and turn all the way in until it stops and turn it back out 2 full turns. Turn your fuel back on and you should be good to go. I will explain the fine tuning of carb. Crank the engine and go to full throttle. If you see a mist of black smoke turn the lower jet in until it goes away no more than 1/2 turn in. Next bring the engine to idle and the adjusting needle on the side closest to the bowl is you low speed. Bench set at 1 1/2 turn out. turn in to the highest idle point and back it out 1/2 turn and your set to go. this will give you better throttle response. Remember to alway crank the engine at more than 1/2 to full throttle for better starting. Good luck and a great job. You saved time and money doing it yourself.

Thanks

Turtle

Experience: Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Turtle,

Went through the process. checked that the seal on the bowl is set and tight. made sure the holes on the bowl nut are clean. Reassembled the bowl assembly. Tried to start the enging and it did the same thing. did not start the first couple of attempts, then it did start and ran for about 2 seconds and then stopped by itself. I didn't even have time to change the choke. the linkage that runs from the engine block to the carburator shifted as it shut off. Then it wouldn't start... as if it were flooded. Only started once for 2 seconds and haven't been able to get it going again after muliple attempts with different choke and throtle positions.

What is the purpose of the linkage that runs from the engine block to the caburetor? What can I try next?

Thanks!

Sat. 3XXXXX/p>

Doug

The linkage is governor that controll the engine rpm even though the load may vary. In other words as you push into the snow the engine will try to maintain the same rpm.

Is there any fuel leaking out of the carb anywhere. Did you notice any black smoke while it was running? I also need to know if you used compressed air to clean because the seat may have moved not letting fuel into the bowl. We are flooding or not getting enough.

Have you got more details?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Turtle, Just found your reply. Thanks for the info on the governor. Just tried starting the engine. This time would not turn over at all. When I let go of the electric start button, I saw a small amount of smoke or vapor expel from the opening of the carb. No gas leaking that I could see. To clean the carb, I used a spray carb cleaner (no compressed air, but there was the propellent of the spray cleaner). What's next?

Lets process what we have. #1 we have fuel in the bowl of the carb yes or no. If yes do we have fresh fuel? Will it run on choke or half choke. We need to map our direction to isolate problem. I will now question the fuel quality. After some time in a container fuel will not burn under compression.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We had a small amount of gas in the bowl. the bowl is not dry.

There was a small amount of gas in the tank from spring and I added fresh gas to the tank. The gas was purchased a month or two ago as it's the same gas we use in the mower, which ran fine this summer.On the two occasions when the snowblower did start, it ran for about 2 - 3 seconds, the choke was on full. The engine stopped before I could make any adjustment to the choke. When I tried to restart, I tried different choke settings and throttle settings. The engine did not start regardless of the settings.

Ok, remove the bowl again. Un clamp the fuel line and check the flow into a container. It should be a steady stream. I suspect the float level is not high enough. The float should move freely. Lets check the float height. The hinge side will be our guide. When you raise the float and fuel stops the opposite end of the float should be level to the middle of the float. In other words 5/32 higher than level. This will give sufficent fuel volume. The know level setting is basic with all other manufacturers. This carb setting is just higher than level. If the fuel stops before level you found your problem. Most procedures are explained with carb off of engine and pictured upside down for easy demonstrations. We are looking at it still bolted to the engine.

Turtle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Turtle, sorry about the delay. We have this thing going on up here in Wisconsin called Christmas... it really takes a lot of time ;-) Anyway, I finally got back to the snow blower and got it running. (just in time for the next big snow.)

I think the float might have jammed when I put the bowl back in. I got a nice fuel stream going and upon reassembly, the snow blower started and kept running. did some tweaks on the power screw. had a little trouble finding a smooth idle setting, but got close enough. Thanks for the suggestions and patience. I'll reach out to you if I need assistance in the future.

Customer/p>

Thanks

Happy Holidays

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I accepted and clicked the OK on the confirmation box that came up. Let me know if I need to do anything else.

We thank you and remember to use Just Answer in the future. This was a long post but we want to make sure you have the correct answers for the repair.

Thank you

Turtle