Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

My Ariens 824 Sno Thro first stage auger will not turn. The

My Ariens 824 Sno Thro first stage auger will not turn. The second stage impeller spins fine. However if I engage the auger lever and kick the auger with my foot it will catch and spin but as soon as it meets resistance from snow it stops. Auger gear box?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 7 years ago.

You need to check the shear pins in the auger. These are special bolts that hold the auger to the shaft. They are located on the auger on either side of the gear box sometimes about half way between the gearbox and the side of the frame.

If that is not the problem you probably have a bad gearboc. I would also check the belt and make sure it is not slipping.

I hope this helps.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me here at this question anytime...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks