Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

I have a John Deere TRS21 SnowBlower and am trying to get it

Customer Question

I have a John Deere TRS21 SnowBlower and am trying to get it started with no avail. The electric started worked fine 2 yrs ago but haven't used it since. Now it won't start and there seems to be gas leaking from the float or carbureator. I removed the bottom of the carbureator, there was fuel in it, so I cleaned it, replaced the O ring, and put the cap back on, but leak did not stop. I tried to start it manually and it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. I don't have the instruction manual... do you have any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Did you shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line shut before removing the bowl? If so, and there's still fuel leaking, you probably have a bad needle and seat and it's not allowing the float to shut off the fuel. Let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting. Please hold off on accepting until we are finished.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay. I'm going to bring it in and work on it after I warm my hands up, as they're about frozen.

I will bring try pinching the fuel line shut, like you suggested, and see what happens. In the meantime I want to let you know that on the left side there's a slide switch. Is that the throttle or choke? If the choke, which is on and off?

Then on the right side, there's a button switch. What is this and should it be turned left or right?

Also to note: Before I took off the carbureator bowl to clean it, I had plugged in the electric cord and tried to start it by the electric starter button and it turned over but didn't start. Now it doesn't even turn over with the electric cord plugged in, using the electric starter button. Thanks, I'll wait to hear back from you.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Get your hands warm. It's a bear to try to do this kinda stuff with frozen fingers....

The slide switch on the control panel is for the choke. Right is the choked position.

I'm thinking the push button switch you're referring to on the right is the engine kill switch. What does the picture next to it look like?

Let's use the rope start for the moment and get you going, then we'll look at the electric starter.

Let me know if the needle and seat are in good shape in the carburetor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, going to do those things now. The picture on the knob is a "key" when in the 12:00 position the key has a line through it (like a no smoking sign) and then you can turn it to 3:00PM and there's no line through the picture of the "key". It may be a while to check those other things. I had to get a little heater as I'm trying to do these things on the side porch, and the temp is 4 degrees. I'll reply as soon as I can. Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Take your time and let me know when you can. Sometimes these things go really fast, others take several days and even a few weeks. I'm here for the long haul.

The key usually indicates the run/stop switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay thanks a lot. I'll keep this dialog going. what time zone are you in? I'm in Central and it's almost 6pm. Thank you again. I'll text you back later on tonight or tomorrow.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
I'm on Pacific, and I check in frequently.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Were you able to get this going?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry this didn't work out. I appreciate the attempt to help but it was too cold and I had to give up. My friend plowed the snow out. Looks like i will have to have the carbureator re-built.

I would like to have my deposit returned. Can you advise how that is accomplished?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
I'll alert the moderators to your request.