Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326
Small Engine

I have a craftsman snowblower with a 9 hp tecumseh engine.

It won't start. I... Show More
It won't start. I tried a new spark plug but that didn't help. What now???
Category: Small Engine
replied 6 years ago.

Does it have spark? You can check by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting the coil wire back on it and placing the plug in contact with the metal block. In a shaded or darkened area you should see a nice blue spark. Be careful and do not to touch the plug or wire while doing this, we don't want to hear about you getting an unpleasant shock.

Let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting. Please hold off on accepting until we complete the troubleshooting process.

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
I can see the spark across the gap of the plug
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 6 years ago.
Remove the plug and put a teaspoon of gas in the cylinder. Put the plug back and see if it starts. It won't keep running long. We're just looking to see if it starts.
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
yes, it ran for a little while

Sounds like a plugged carburetor. Let's try a minor fix first, then if that doesn't solve it a full cleaning and rebuild will be necessary.

Please shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line and have a container ready under the carburetor bowl. Remove the bowl nut and look in the bowl for any sediment or build-up. Clean it out. Be cautious not to knock the float loose. It's not major if you do, but there's no sense having to put more back together than necessary.

The bowl nut has some small holes that are likely plugged. Spray it with carburetor cleaner and use some small soft wire like from a bread tie to make sure the passages are clear. Spray some carburetor cleaner up the center nozzle of the carburetor as well until it shoots out the throat of the carb.

graphic

Bolt it back and try it again. Please let me know and we'll continue.

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
the float was stuck, it runs now
Good deal. Based on our troubleshooting, I knew it had to be a carb issue. Glad we're going again.