cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair

Sears Craftsman snow blower at least 20 years old MOD. C950-52870-0 Just

Sears Craftsman snow blower at least 20 years old MOD. C950-52870-0
Just rebuilt carb.
Need diagram for throttle/governor linkage hookup (fell off during car removal)

The engine on your snowblower will have its own model number and spec or type number. If you can get me that number I can pull up a parts diagram and that will help me figure out where that linkage goes.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'll have to wait until I get home then, I'm at work now.

Ok, let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Engine Model no. isNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Ser. no. is 0241D

Purchased Sep.22, 1990

The linkage from the governor arm typically goes in one of the two holes on the throttle shaft that is closest to the little bend on the metal that your idle adjustment screw puches against. If you look in the picture that I've attatched, you can see one hole on the opposite side, and two together closer to the metal bent downward. It will need to go into one of the two holes closer to the downward bent piece. Truly, I myself have to pay super close attention, or mark the hole the linkage comes out of when I disassemble as Tecumseh changes them up so often. If I forget, I basically have to put it in the hole that is my best guess, and if it doesn't run right, take it loose and try another hole.

Edited by cameronsmallengines on 12/10/2009 at 2:25 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, basically you've shown me the same picture I have in my owners manual, which hasn't helped much.

You're advice jives with what I have ascertained on my own. Thanks for that.

That hole you're referring to, is sort of used and shiny looking, so I've determined that it's probably the one, but that is not the whole problem

The arm from the governor to the slotted dohicky on the south end of the throttle contol arm (with the red plastic handle), does it go over or under the engine intake? It sort of flopped down underneath, and I can rotate it back up but I'm not sure if that is correct or not. I think it should be above it.

Can't find a picture anywhere.

Best view I've had so far is of someone showing how an Arien snowblower linkage works on Youtube, and that was just a fleeting view, since the camera work was not so great.

I even tried to look at some new units to compare but they all have their carb covers on, so you can't see anything. (Should have taken some pictures first I guess, too soon old, too late smart)

When I connect everything, and move the throttle arm up and down, there isn't much movement, if any at the carb end of things.

Kind of looks to me like if it starts it's going to be stuck on wide open, since the little spring on the carb doesn't seem capable of returning both the governor and the carb back to where it looks like they should be. On that point, I don't see what purpose the large spring on the back of the the slotted dohickey is for, it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

I may be confused on this point, help me out here.

I guess what i need is a drawing showing the governor and carb arms connected properly. No luck so far.

There is a way to add pictures to messages on my end here, but I am not sure if there is any way for you to add a picture on your end. I am looking at the parts diagram at the throttle linkages and governor linkages and amd having trouble putting 2 and 2 together myself. Can you look into snapping a photo of your engine and carburetor and sending it to me here? A good shot of the governor arm and all linkages will be what I need.

Edited by cameronsmallengines on 12/10/2009 at 4:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'll give it a shot.

Pictures are worth...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, good news. I found an illustration of what looks exactly like your application in an old tecumseh reference manual we have here at our shop. I think this will get you hooked back up. Its circled in red ink, if it isn't incredibly obvious to you. Good luck to you, and let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kyle,

Looks like you nailed it, but it's not working like it should.

The throttle doesn't return to idle when you drop the lever, it just sits there unless the engine vibrations shake itr loose. It's binding or the spring isn't doing it's job or something. The lever will set the throttle to full speed but it does nothing when lowered.

Still roars away.

I've lubed it with WD40, lithium grease, silicone lube, nothing helps, worked it back and forth about a million times.

Worse comes to worse Iguess I could jury rig a piece of wire that sticks up out of the carb cover to make it move, but that isn't doing the job properly.

I'm thinking you've more than earned the small ampunt I'm paying for you expertise and I'm going pull the trigger anyway, but if you've any hints before I go, I'd welcome them of course.Wink Merry Christmas

Carb's still leaking too, but that's another issue, nothing to do with my question to you.

I suspect it's the shut off needle seat is shot, becaues the needle is new, the spring is pointing the right way, and the bowl and gasket are new.

Think I'll just order a new carb.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kyle,

Going to hit the Accept button now.

I removed the carb again, removed the bowl, popped out the needle seat (it was in the right way), checked it over, pushed it back in with the correct size drill bit (reversed), reassembled the float and needle, (spring pointing toward choke), leveled the float, smeared 5-30 synthetic oil on the rubber gasket, (to help it seal a little better), carefully put the bowl back on, making sure the gasket was tucked in all the way around evenly, snugged it up with a 7/16", put everything back together (couldn't find a fibre washer for the bottom of the float any, so I use a steel one that fit well).

Leaked a bit after reassembly, snugged it up gently, til just past where it quit leaking, gave one poke to the primer button, one pull on the starter and away she went, runs good.

Don't know if it's something I did with all the various lubricants or not but the governor linkage is not binding anymore.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

Looks like I'll get at least another winter out of it.

Going to change the oil and grease the auger shaft, adjust the cables, etc. tomorrow.

Ok, sounds great. I'm glad that got you hooked up, and I was going to have you check the orientation of your seat until I read on and you checked it. Good luck to you and merry christmas