Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

How to change the starter on a Wheel Horse tractor with a Kohler

How to change the starter on a Wheel Horse tractor with a Kohler engine?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 6 years ago.

It is fairly simple.

Remove the engine shroud. The dipstick tube should come out when you lift the shroud. If not then you should be able to just pull it out. (Once in a while there might be a screw that holds the tube in place).

Then remove the starter mounting screws and replace the starter.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to say that your info was helpful but that would be a lie. The engine schroud had nothing to do with the changing of the starter. Now if you had told me to locate the three mounting bolts at the bottom of the tube and to remove them and the tube would come right off that I would have deemed very helpful. Your info did not help me at all to get the starter changed.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, many of these engines have different ways of removing the tube. Just a little different modle calls for a different procedure. Many times you have to remove the shroud just to get to the bolts that hold on the tube. Also sometimes it is much easier to get to the starter bolts if the shroud is out of the way.

At least you found out that you had to remove the tube. And Hopefully you were able to remove the starter. If you need any more information, please let me know. You can still contact me here at this question.

Good luck.