J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a Tecumseh 10hp engine on a PowerMax 5000 watt generator.

Customer Question

I have a Tecumseh 10hp engine on a PowerMax 5000 watt generator. When I get it started it continually surges. Under a load it is worse. I have to run it with the choke almost completely open. I can hold the throttle open and it does speed up but I can find no adjustments for the throttle.

I bought this generator at Sam's Club about 10 years ago. It does not have many hours of operation on it. It has gasoline w/seafoam in it.

Can I get a manual for this engine?

John Richards
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

Here are the links to both manuals. It will depend if your engine has overhead valves or has the valves in the block. The problem you are having sounds like the result of a plugged up jet in the carb.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I cannot get to this until this weekend.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Carburator not the problem. Someone here at the farm added diesel fuel to my gas tank.

Thanks for the replies any way.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
You stated the generator had gasoline with seafoam in it. I supplied the manuals as you asked.