Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

How do I install a Poulan Pro lawn mower blade engagement cable

How do I install a Poulan Pro lawn mower blade engagement cable? I have a Poulan Pro 42" riding mower. model # XXXXX
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Take a look at the following illustration, please. It will show you the attachment points for the cable to get it to work properly.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

illustration where housing guide is, is currently being used by clutch cable. Need to where else can I connect the blade cable?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
That is the blade cable. It clutches and de-clutches the blade engagement. Which cable are you talking about then?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The blade cable has a lever that engages the blade to to cut/mow. That cable has snap and is different from the original cable. It did not have a lining like the original blade engagement cable. The cable strand is uncovered unlike the purchase replacement. According to Poulan Pro repair deck diagram, the key number is XXXXX and the part number reference is 169676, which is reference with a different replacement partno info on the internet, partno 175067. I was under the impression that the replacement part can be used for the blade engagement cable. I hope I've clarified what I am trying fix.

The model of my Poulan Mower is P017542LT

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
I think I've run into this before. Do you mind if I check into it on Monday? I'd like to check some information i don't have access until then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem. I will wait till monday your time.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
When you received the new part, did you also get a new carriage bolt and cable tie along with an instruction sheet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I did receive a new carriage bolt , cable tie and instruction sheet. However I find the instructions a chore just to replace a clutch cable, which I thought would be a simple task.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

I agree it should be. But there was an engineering change requiring these modifications in order to use the new cable. Here's the instruction sheet just in case.

Instructions

The factory is in it to make money, too, so they don't include extra parts for no reason. Unfortunately, since the original version of the cable is no longer supplied, you'll need to make the modfications detailed. It should work fine once you do.

Please let me know...

Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.