Curtis
Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Factory trained in residential small engine equipment

My Poulan 2750 chainsaw will not start. A friend let me use

My Poulan 2750 chainsaw will not start. A friend let me use his in line spark indicator and we saw that there was no spark being delivered to the plug, so I have replaced the coil. I no longer have access to the spark indicator, but the chainsaw still will not fire. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jercor.Have you removed and checked the spark plug? If not this would be the next area to check. Unburnt fuel can fowl the plug and allow current to travel directly to ground without making an spark.Remove the plug, lay it on a metal surface of the engine, and pull the starter rope. You should notice a bright blue spark. Ideally,a new plug should be used, but you can clean the original with compressed air. Run a piece of emery cloth or sand paper through the gap. Be sure to blow out and dirt before reinstalling in the engine.I hope this helps. Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How bright should this spark be? I am getting some spark. The plug was replaced earlier this year and does not appear to be fouled. It still won't start.
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
In an area out of direct sunlight, the spark should be easily visible and blue in color.The gap should be about .030 of an inch, or roughly the thickness of a credit card. The spark should jump directly across the gap. If said spark is weak or yellow and wants to jump to the ceramic, you need a new plug.Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then my spark is good. It is exactly as you described. Next idea?
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
If you have good spark,next we have to make sure the engine is getting fuel.While the plug is still out, put a couple of drops of fuel/oil mix in the spark plug hole. Re-install the plug, put the plug wire on and pull the starter cord. The engine should fire and run.If it stalls and won't restart after priming and choking the fuel filter may be plugged or there may be carberator problems.If the saw hasn't run in a while, stale fuel could also contribute to a no start issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine has been started recently, so I don't think is it stale fuel. However, I now get the engine to fire, but it stalls. It won't restart without priming it again. It doesn't help to pull the choke out to full or half. So, I have some improvement, but not a solution yet. Either a carborator problem or a clogged filter or line, right? How do I trouble shoot that one?
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
The primer bulb should pick up fuel from the fuel tank when depressed, and introduce enough to the carb to fire the engine.If this doesn't work,then the filter could be clogged. The filter is on the end of the fuel line in the tank. This is a replace item. With a hooked piece of wire, fish it out of the tank, pull it off and replace with a new one. No fuel delivery to the engine is also commonly caused by a failure of the carborator diaphram. This is the engine's fuel pump. Installing a carb kit is the answer here.With the fuel filter off, if the primer pulb won't pick up fuel, the carb needs a kit installed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a primer bulb on my chainsaw. It must be a pre-bulb model. Anyway, would a carb kit possibly get me a primer bulb add-on? Probably not. You have been very helpful. Can you give me an idea on where to get a manual that directs how to access and rebuild the carburator? I have to leave, but if you don't get back to me before I leave, I will hit accept when I get back in a couple of hours. Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jercor, I'm always glad to help.I don't know of any primer bulb add-ons. I'll look around online and try to find an adderss for a manual. Even without a primer bulb, a weel maintained saw will start right up.Good luck! Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As it turns out, my filter had fallen off at some time in the past. I am trying to reinstall it, but it sounds like the carburator rebuild might be the way to go. Do you concur with that, given the operation without a filter?
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely. A small amount of debris in the carb can cause big problems.Her's a link to try for a manual. Curtis.http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/poulan/poulan_chainsaw_product_list.html
Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Factory trained in residential small engine equipment