roger
roger, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  23 years of being a shop owner..small engine trade schools
6498115

My poulan Chain saw stopped running. I cannot crank it any

My poulan Chain saw stopped running. I cannot crank it any more. The rope will pull out about 7" to 8" and the meets resistance. I took the cover and cranking rope off and turned the motor shaft by hand. After encountering some resistance, the shaft then turned freely until again meeting resistance. It appears to me that a swet screw on the motor shaft may have loosened. I have no other ideas about what may be wrong.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  roger replied 7 years ago.
Hello,pull plug and pull through to make sure there is not flooded with fuel.Diaphram type carbs can stick and dump fuel into the cylinder.If no fuel see if you encounter same resistence with plug removed.If you do check the four cylinder bolts to insure they are tight.then the coil.Must have .010 clearance between coil and flywheel.If too close the magnet on flywheel with come into contact with coil.Roger