Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

toro recycler 22 6.5 hp mower will not start it has fresh

toro recycler 22" 6.5 hp mower will not start it has fresh gas, new oil and new plug please advise
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Does it have spark? You can check by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting the coil wire back on it and placing the plug in contact with the metal block. In a shaded or darkened area you should see a nice blue spark. Be careful and do not to touch the plug or wire while doing this, we don't want to hear about you getting an unpleasant shock.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it wasn't a blue spark it was a rather small yellow spark
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
That usually indicates a rather weak spark. But let's try this. Can you get it to start by removing the plug and putting a teaspoon of fuel in the hole and replacing the plug? It won't run long, but let's see if it starts. That will test the spark and compression.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it ran for about 1 second and then cut out
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Is this a Tecumseh engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i beleive its a briggs and straton 6.5 hp
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Does it have a float style caburetor with a nut in the bottom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm sorry it is a tecumseh engine the carb has a nut on the bottom
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Even better. I love Tecumseh. Taught those engines for years.

Pinch the fuel line and take the float bowl off. Be careful not to disturb the float. Look for any sediment in the bowl and clean it out. The nut will have some very small holes through the top and on the side. This is your high speed jet. Clean them with carb cleaner then run a wire from a bread tie through them to make sure they're clean. Spray some cleaner up the center nozzle until it comes out the throat of the carb. Then put it back together and give it a shot.

graphic

Let me know.

Edited by Rick on 11/9/2009 at 9:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow i did what you said and it roared to life with one pull
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Love it when a plan comes together. I'll post this as an answer to accept, then. You might also consider mixing a bit of Sea Foam with the gas per the label instructions. This will help clean the rest of the fuel system and stabilizes the fuel as well. It's available in the auto section of Walmart.

Thank you for letting us help!

Edited by Rick on 11/9/2009 at 11:26 PM EST
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.