Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

How do you install the governor spring on a Briggs 5hp Mod.

How do you install the governor spring on a Briggs 5hp Mod. 135212 engine? No diagrams are shown in the manual.

Robert

Linkage drawing are always difficult to come up with. Does this picture show your style?

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Rick:

My configuration is like Fig. 48--no control cable. The engine had starting problems and once started, the throttle does not seem to work. When looking found a spring lying under the motor and identified it as #209 (governor spring) from the engine manual. From the diagram you show with green arrows, I am not sure yet where the spring attaches, especially to the left side.

Robert

The spring attaches to the movalble governor lever attached to the shaft coming out the engine, and from there it can vary depending on the speed control braket. Some have a bend tab on the bracket for the spring to go to. If tis isn't the wa yours is, can you give me the type and code numbers off the engine shroud to complete the model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Rick:

Mod. 135212

Type: 1313E1

Code: 970822YB

Thank you. Let me do a bit of checking and I'll be back to you in a few minutes.

Well, I give up. I could hook it up but cannot locate any diagrams to show you where it hooks up. I'm going to opt out and let one of the other guys give it a shot. I hope they have something I don't.

The manuals that I have don't show anything more thatn Ricks do, but I have a suggestion. I know tat it is probably not what you wanted to hear, but here goes anyway.

As Rick suggested, HE or I could to ake a 3 second look at the unit and themn install the speing in about a minute. IF you brought the engine into our shop, we would probably hook it up for almost nothing. I suggest you take the engine to your local lawnmower repair and let them hook up the spring. Even if they charged you to do it, most likely it would only few a few dollars. This way you would know that things werre hooked up right.

Good luck.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

Edited by Ranwell1 on 11/10/2009 at 7:16 AM EST
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.