Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have to replace a spark plug wire on my Onan HGJAB generator.

Customer Question

I have to replace a spark plug wire on my Onan HGJAB generator. I have already dropped the unit, and removed the cover plate. I can't see where the hidden end of the plug wire goes. What parts of the engine do I need to remove to be able to get to the plug wire. (right side of the engine if you are facing it.)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

The plug wire is attached to the magneto, which is behind the flywheel in the base of the set. The entire base must be disassembled to replace it.

What is wrong withe the wire that it needs to be replaced?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The wire was shorting out and I thought that was why my motor was surging. While waiting for your reply, I already figured out where the wire was attached. I changed it, but I'm still having a little bit of a surging problem with the engine. Is there an air/fuel mixture adjustment on the carburator?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.
No, the fuel mixture adjusters are sealed at the factory. If you suspect the carb being at fault, it must be removed, disassembled and cleaned. These carbs are so finicky that sometimes even cleaning is not enough, and the carb ends up being replaced.