Deere Dr
Deere Dr, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  John Deere service mgr for 18 yrs. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, expert level for all
24790541

The pull cord broke on my Cub Cadet engine. I have removed

Customer Question

The pull cord broke on my Cub Cadet engine. I have removed the spring unit and replaced the cord. How do I get the spring reinstalled?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  mowermann2 replied 7 years ago.
need to no what engine manufacture you have and model numbers
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No name on engine? Made in China

Following numbers on mower - may help?

Model number
959435
12A-18MC056

Serial number
1E307K70073
Expert:  Deere Dr replied 7 years ago.
No matter what type of starter you have they all will have 1 thing in common.

In the center of the housing there will be a tab near the center pivot point. This is where the other end of the spring will engage. You probably need to bend the end of the spring in towards that center tab. Rotate the spool in the direction of pull until the spring engages onto the tab.

After the spring is engaged install the hardware retaining the spool to the housing. Now route the spool in the direction it turns until the spring gets tight and you can no longer turn the spool.

Back the spool up until the hole in the spool aligns with the hole in the starter housing.
Feed the rope through the spool and then the housing. Attach the handle to the other end of the rope and allow the rope to retract back into the housing.