Bluextc89
Bluextc89, Mechanic
Experience:  Golf Cart, Overhead Door, and Tractor repairs.
22516588

wheels do not turn on this snowblower-diengage gear from shaft

Customer Question

wheels do not turn on this snowblower-diengage gear from shaft wheels turn-removed c clips and put gears together and they turn.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What model of MTD snow blower is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
bottom skidplate missing with info on it-24inch snow king
Expert:  Bluextc89 replied 5 years ago.
Check the linkage to the traction control lever, if it is too loose then the friction disk won't engage. If you pull the cable by hand and the wheels engage then thats the problem.

Take the pulley cover off and check that the belts ( there should be two ) are both on and tensioned properly. Check for wear and replace if necessary. Also check the belt tensionfor proper deflection (approx 1/4" if you dont have a deflection gauge).

Put the blower into the service position ( clearing dirt to China ) open the back cover of the traction system and check the friction disk mechanism, if the rubber on the friction wheel is all gone you need a new one. There is a chain in the mechanism as well, make sure it is engaged. Lubricate as needed, test the control linkages and adjust as needed. The wheel should be on one side of the disk for forward and on the other side for reverse.If none of that works or it sounds too complicated take it into to a servicing dealer.... as you have more serious internal problems.

Thanks for using J.A.

P.S. Without knowing the model # XXXXX is difficult to troubleshoot technical problems remotely, and is probably why the previous expert backed out of the question. It would be helpful to know if the drive is belt, or hydrostatic, I have assumed Belt with my answer. If the snowblower has a hydrostatic drive - it is suggested to not mess with it yourself, as it is possible to do more harm than good by tinkering.

Also - the fact that disengaging one of the wheels may indicate a problem with the secondary drive gear. Does the disconnected wheel spin freely when you take out the pin? If not - you may have a broken geartooth or similar, and it has become wedged in the gearing. It will not hurt to use it with one wheel drive - but it will pull to the drive wheel side under load.

Best to have it looked at now before the season gets here. (have you greased the friction plate, or had any Preventative maintenance done yet?)