RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

On a Cub Cadet 208cc snow blower I have to set the choke to

Customer Question

On a Cub Cadet 208cc snow blower I have to set the choke to midway between full on and off to get it to run smoothly but this setting does not produce full power. If I turn the choke know one way it just slows down and dies (this is supposed to be the Choke Off position) , the other way the RPM begins to cycle up and down. I looked for an air filter to clean and could not find one.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
This is a function of trash in the carburetor......you have to remove the carb, disassemble it and allow it to soak in a GOOD carb (NAPA) cleaner, then reassemble it with a new carb kit. DIAGRAM THE LINKAGE AND PARTS AS YOU DISASSEMBLE IT SO YOU CAN REASSEMBLE IT PROPERLY. THANKS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I bought this snowblower new the summer before last and it has been used about 6 times. Do you really think that a virtually new carb needs rebuilding?
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
absolutely when a gas engine sits any fuel left in the carburetor will turn to a gummy mess and clog up the small passages in these carbs! Even if you drained the gas, some always remains. When storing a unit like this ALWAYS use a product like STABIL according to directions on the label!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
O.K. I do that with my motorcycle but never thought to do it with the snowblower Do you think II need new gaskets, i.e., a carb rebuilding kit, or might I get away with just cleaning it? By the way, I looked an an exploded view of the engine and it has an air filter (which I could not find) heating assembly called out.
Thanks for you help.
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
I would use a kit! Snowblowers do not use air filters they would ice up! I have never seen a heater for the filter in 28 years but if you have a filter i see the need for one!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate the value of all your experience. This is this first time I have used this justAnswer site and I think it is great.
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
MANY THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS! Enjoy winter!!!!