James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet LT-1042 with a twin bagger. I have problems

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet LT-1042 with a twin bagger. I have problems with the tube on the bagger always having to disconnected at the bottom (connection to the mower) before the bags fill up... seems like it gets stuffed and doesn't push up to the bags. After I empty the tube (which is a pain), then it seems to suck the leaves up good again (for awhile (clean path behind), but then pretty soon I start spitting leaves out from the mower deck and leave a messy trail until I clean out the tube again (even when the bags aren't filled). It's alot of work to un-band that tube and bounce it clear every few swipes. Any idea what I can do to fix this... it has always done this! THANKS!
Deane Christianson
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.
All my experience tells me that your unit does not have HIGH LIFT Blades installed.

I have not checked this particular model, but..

Usually, when you obtain a bagger for a rider, either it comes with or you have to buy a special set of blades to work with it.

These blades have a bevel that turns up HIGHER on the trailing edge..

This extra angle cause the grass and clippings to be Thrown at a higher pitch and UP the chute of your bagger attachment..

Also, it is VERY important to ALWAYS have extremely Sharp blades when bagging especially if your can not use High lift blades on your model..

Cub cadet was bought out by MTD who now makes them..

ANY MTD dealer can help you with this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have those blades and have just recently been replaced (so they are new). What else would improve the suction up the chute?
Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

Clean the Chute with soap and water and let it dry completely.

The use a spray with a very high concentration of SILICON Lubricant and Completely coat the inside of the chute with it..

All we really have left is to reduce the friction as much as we can. If we can stop the grass from lodging just a little bit, then we can also slow the clogging process.

Lastly, Overfill the tires with air just a little bit.

If you put more air in the tires, you will raise the cutting height nearly an inch. This will help to increase airflow and give your better bagging.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, what level should the deck be at when I mow... should it be all the way up or down low?
Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

Higher is better. You should never take more than 1/3 of the hight of the grass off at one time. So if the grass is 4 inches long, I would cut at 3 inches...

Leaves need Higher cutting. You want to pick up the leaves without cutting much grass.

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

Have a technician adust the ENGINE RPM to be 3500 RPM.. Very possibly, when you purchased it, it may have not been professionally set up.

Have them use a digital tachometer and set it exactly..

This will give you the highest blade tip speed allowed by law.

Have them perfectly level the mower deck from side to side and then have them make the mower deck more level from front to back.

Have them make the front of the deck be ONLY 1/8 of an inch lower than the back of the deck..

When these get older the front tends to dip and droop because of the wearing of all the hardware. This takes away all your suction..

These MTD units are not of the BEST design available. They have a reputation for not doing a good job of bagging at all. BUT, I hope that I have given you all the best hints.