Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Factory trained in residential small engine equipment

I have a relatively new mower with an 8BSXS.1901VH engine.

Customer Question

I have a relatively new mower with an 8BSXS.1901VH engine. It has occasionally stopped while running. A few minutes rest and it will start and run for a few seconds. Once I fixed it by clearing the fuel line and carburetor. Did it again yesterday, cleared, running fine, but when I was done mowing it started leaking gas slowly through the air filter.

Is there a valve somewhere in the system that isn't working? Or is this a problem with the choke flooding the carb? Any ideas on how to fix? Hard to find nearby mower repair places (too many people here use lawn services, so the small local repair places have gone away...) or I'd use one.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Customer Yes, you're right, there is a valve not working. Inside the caruretor bowl is the needle and seat. They are open and closed by the float rising and lowering with the level of gasoline from the fuel tank. You may have noticed this when you cleaned the carb.Foreign debris from the fuel tank, dirt grass etc., are causing this valve to stick open,and flood the engine. You could clean the carb, fuel lines and fuel tank but you should consider getting a rebuild kit for the carb. This contains replacement parts for the ailing components and is easily installed once you have the carb off for cleaning. An inline gas filter installed between the carb and tank would trap these debris before they got to the tank. If there isn't one already on the machine , installing one would be worth your while. I hope this helps.