Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

My GT242 lawn tractor refuses to start, engine will not crank.

My GT242 lawn tractor refuses to start, engine will not crank. Checked fuses on ignition switch module and they are OK. I'd had an intermittent cranking problem once or twice before. Battery and connections to started are OK. Seat safety switch is OK. Jumping the solenoid and starter cranks fine. What should I check next? Any way to trouble shoot the ign. switch module?

Most of the time when this happens the problem is in the saftey switch on the brake/clutch peddal or the one on the mower engagement.

Sometimes the switches are bad and sometimes the switch actuator is not pressing the switch all the way down. The seat switch doesn't have anything to do with the engine turning over.

If this doesn't help you, feel free to contact me here at this question and I will try again.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. Are the clutch/brake and mower blade safety switches open or closed in the safe to start position? Should I jumper across to test or leave open to test?

In the start position, they are closed. because they have to complete the circuit.

I don't remember if you have an electric PTO clutch or a manual blade engagement. Be carefull if you have the Electric pto. You don't want to short out something. Best just to replace that swtch.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the electric PTO clutch on this lawn tractor. So if I locate the switch for each I can unplug and jumper across the wires to bypass the switch as a test?

You will be able to do that on the brak/clutch switch, but NOT on the Electric PTO switch. Do the one on the brake switch first. If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the PTO switch...or at least take the switch in to the dealer for them to test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
brake and neutral switches tested OK. On the PTO switch there are 3 contacts at the top and 2 at the bottom. With the switch in the off position, there is continuity between the outer 2 top contacts. In the on position, there is continuity between the center and right upper contacts. I never get continuity between any of the lower pair of contacts. DO you know which of these contacts should have continuity in the on & off positions?

I just received some new information from another expert that knows this specific model. Here is what he said.

This tractor has a complex circuit board as part of the ignition switch wiring. They are about $80.00. Our only diagnostic option is to replace it with a known good unit or hook it up to a computer Deere provides for this situation. The switch/module has pto, battery sensors, RIO all mounted to the circuit board. The most common failure is the brake lock lever spring breacs and the back side shorts out the back of the circuit board.

Thanks, Deere.Dr