Donerightmotors
Donerightmotors, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  30 years in the field,i have my own shop with many happy customers,quick to analize and repair
19349627

I have a poulan chainsaw that the bar and chain vibrate loose

Customer Question

I have a poulan chainsaw that the bar and chain vibrate loose during use. It has the dial on the side of the machine to tighten the bar.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Delsley Jr replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer. Does the bar and chain it self come loose or does the nuts also come loose on the cover that holds it on ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just the bar and chain.

Did this problem just start ? Did it work fine before ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the chain saw was used 4x light use. I then used it heavy (5hrs + ) in two days and the problem started. 2 hrs into the second day. Th bar would come loose after 10 min off use and I would have to manualy hold the bar to get the chain tighter.

Ok then I would suggest checking the tightener that is behind the bar on it and see if the threads is getting stripped on the screw that tightens it up. Also when you tighten the chain with the adjuster get it where it is tight and tighten the cover down good and snug the chain adjuster up good on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This advice is exactly what I have done already.
Ok I will opt out and see if one of the other experts have ran across this problem.
Expert:  Donerightmotors replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Ok i think that Delsley Jr gave you good advise,,i have came acroos these poulan saws beforw were it has a dial to adjust the bar,a half turn can move it alot,,the only reason that it would come loose is because it is not locked into the bar,,make sure when you snug it up(with the dial) and before you tighten the bolts you lift up on the end of the bar to check for proper chain tention,,make sure you adjust the chain when you are lifting up on the end of the bar,,make sure you are locked in with the adjuster and you have the right amount of tention on the chain before you tighten the bolt. These saws were knowen to be a bit of a lemon,,however they should keep proper tention on the chain as long as it is assembled propery and there is nothing stripped or worn out.