Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

i have a troy bilt weed eater that will not crank i took it

i have a troy bilt weed eater that will not crank i took it to a repair center it sat there a week and they said they used the manual choke and it cranked. I done that for about a month and now same problem piece of crap will not crank
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Is this the two-cycle of 4-cycle? Which model? How old is it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4 cycle tb475ss about 4 years old maybe 5
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Have you checked for spark? When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do you check spark?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

You can check for spark by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting the coil wire back on it and placing the plug in contact with the metal block. In a shaded or darkened area you should see a nice blue spark. Be careful and do not to touch the plug or wire while doing this, so you don't get an unpleasant shock.

Let me know and we'll continue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no spark

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Then you probably have a bad ignition module, but let's make absolute sure by:

1. Trying it with a new spark plug
  2. Taking the grounding wire off the base of the coil to eliminate the possibility of a bad switch or damaged ground wire
  3. Clean the mounting points on both the coil and the block with a bit of sandpaper to remove any corrosion

If you do this and still do not have spark, the coil will need to be replaced.

Edited by Rick on 10/6/2009 at 5:22 PM EST
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.