Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
Experience:  Handyman & Small engine repair Business owner

why does my cub cadet 2554 lawn tractor stop running after

Customer Question

why does my cub cadet 2554 lawn tractor stop running after 30to 40 minutes of cutting grass.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Delsley Jr replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer.. Does it start back up after it cools off ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks. You will want to run it till it stops on you and check and see if your getting a good spark at the spark plug. You can check that by removing the spark plug and reattaching the plug wire and ground the plug against the engine metal and crank it over and see if it is sparking. If there is no spark or it is very weak then you have a bad coil on it witch will cause the problem your having.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
something else to add
when the engine was about to stall, i tried shutting of the pto and this would allow the engine to continue running.
this was while cutting in short grass so the blades (pto) was not in a bind.
did the engine run good after shutting off the pto ? does it run fine if your not cutting grass if so does it run for more then the 30 to 40 minutes ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it runs fine after shutting off the pto, how ever i never tried running it for 30 to 40 minutes without the pto engaged,
i would engage the pto and contuine to cut grass for about 5 to 10 minutes before it would try to stall again.
then i would shut of the engine and wait about 15 minutes and countine cutting grass .
Ok I would run it till it starts acting up and check the spark if it has a good blue spark the coil is fine, then I would start looking at the fuel system first check the gas cap vent hole it may be getting plugged up and causing a fuel problem if it checks ok then move onto the carb as it may need to be cleaned out good.