Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

I have a tuffcut 220 Troy-bilt with a brigg stratton engine.

Customer Question

I have a tuffcut 220 Troy-bilt with a brigg stratton engine. I have replaced the air filter however, after priming the motor it will only run for two seconds and die. What's up? I checked both ends of the fuel line and there is gas. I can not find a manual on-line due to incorrect product # XXXXX? 12AS566N063? Are the "O" or the number 0 maybe that is why?

Kathleen Buford
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Does it start and run okay while it's running? And then just dies after a couple of seconds?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it does not run, it just dies after a few seconds.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
What I'm asking is for the few seconds it does runs, does it seem to sound like it's running normally and then just die?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. it purrs.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
This sounds like a plugged carburetor. How old is the oldest fuel that's ever been in it recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
two days; however the outside of the carburetoris covered in dirt. The air filter was unbelieveable and I have changed it again. The area that has been mowed is very dust...more dirt than grass in alot of areas. How do I clean it?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

I think your engine model is actually 125K02-0243-E1. I've linked to a breakdown of the carburetor below:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=125K02-0243-E1&dn=54820003A

Although it would probably be a good idea to take it off and do a full cleaning, let's see if we can't get you started with a minor cleaning.

Pinch the fuel line shut to stop the fuel and have a container ready to catch the extra. Take off the bowl of the carburetor and look to see if there's any sediment in there. Clean it out. Take some spray carb cleaner and clean the small holes in the bowl nut. This is your high speed jet. Use some soft wire like from a bread tie to probe the passages t mke sure they're clean. Spray some carb cleaner up the center leg of the carb where the bowl nut threads into and also down the throat of the carburetor by removing the air cleaner.

graphic

Let me know and we'll continue.

I'm posting this as an answer, but let's make sure you're up and running before you accept.

Edited by Rick on 9/25/2009 at 4:44 PM EST
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the accept. Here's a bit of followup infor in case you need to do a full cleaning:

Take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical. Clean every part with carburetor cleaner (soak is better than spray) and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air or use soft tag wire to make sure they're not blocked, them blow through them. Do not get carburetor cleaner on the non-metallic parts since it will cause them to decompose and futher plug the carburetor. Remove the carb cleaner from the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them thoroughly before reassembling using your pictures or drawings as a guide.

Best of success in all you do,

Rick