J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

Troy-bilt Pressure Washer Model 020242-4 will not siphon detergent

Customer Question

Troy-bilt Pressure Washer Model 020242-4 will not siphon detergent or even plain water. Siphon hose is new and tight. Main water supply hose filter is clean, as is filter in siphon hose. There appears to be a ball and spring in barbed fitting that siphon hose connects to at supply inlet housing. Could this ball be stuck or assembled upside down?? What could this problem be.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Are you using the chemical nozzle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
<p>you tried to put the ball in first and then the spring? Also take some alcohol and clean the seat in the pump body and the fitting to make sure there is not debris.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The present configuration, as you look down into the assembly is first you see the ball and then the spring. In other words the ball is seated into the barb fitting and the spring is down in the input housing. Some how I don't think this is correct and the sequence of assembly should be reverse.
I have cleaned everything very carefully.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
I looked at the parts list and that is how it is shown with the ball on top of the spring. Most of the unit I have worked on have the ball seating in the bore of the pump with the spring on top of that. You could try it with the ball in first and see what happens. How long has it been since it worked correctly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Answers were not helpful since I had already tried everything that was suggested and the problem still exists. I have taken the machine to a service center.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.