Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a 20 hp kohler v twin that has a charging problem

Customer Question

I have a 20 hp kohler v twin that has a charging problem it has a new regulator and stator voltage output is 12.8 and 2 amps .battery volts are 12.4 .ac voltage from the stator is 16.5 at governed rpm and 9.2 at idle . could there be a magnet problem .magnets look good and flywheel looks good - please help Duane
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Hi Duane,

On most Kohler systems, you should be getting 28+ VDC from the stator at 3400-3600 rpms. Can you give me your model and spec numbers so I can check what you should be getting? Is this a 15 amp system?

Your flywheel magnets should be able to pull a dangled screwdriver from about an inch away with a brisk snap.

Let me know and we'll continue...

Best wishes, Rick

Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the flywheel will pull a dangled screwdriver and yes it is a 15 amp system- model # XXXXX spec # XXXXX
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Rectifier B+ (center terminal) output is 13.8-14.7 VDC at 3600 rpm.

Stator output is 28+ VAC at 3600 rpm.

Stator resistance (engine stopped) is .0.64/0.2 ohms between both leads.

Also check each lead to ground, should read infinity or else the winding is shorted to ground.

Are the contact points where the stator and the engine come together clean? Clean them with a bit of sandpaper to ensure good contact to ground.

Let me know...

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Duane,

I'm confused by your negative feedback. Before I refute the comments, can you tell me what this is about? First, as my signature says, "Answer not clear? Reply and we'll keep working." I also say, "please click the accept button when we're DONE."

And after each response I have indicated let me know and we'll continue.

I have answered each question you have asked and left the dialog open to keep working until you are satisfied. You are saying in the feedback that I did not help you whatsoever and you thought this was a scam? How so? Why are you trying to tarnish my personal reputation by saying things which are not true?

You also indicate it has cost you $26? It indicates to me you only authorized $13 for the question. If you like, I will be happy to request a refund for you from the website, since I certainly do not want your money under these circumstances. My reputation is worth a lot more than that.

I was sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help you solve your problem, but in this case, I'm not sure what you were seeing or what you were thinking. If I have failed to meet your needs or expectations in any way I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX I'm not sure what I did wrong other than to try to help you.

Please respond and let me know what I did to cause such animosity from you.

Edited by Rick on 9/17/2009 at 10:06 PM EST