J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

trying to change pull cord on sthil ts 410 when spring came

trying to change pull cord on sthil ts 410 when spring came out how does it all go back together
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Is there a metal case that the spring fits in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the spring coils round a plastic case then the pull cord fits on top but no idea hoh spring works to pull the cord back in to cutter
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the spring still in the plastic part or did it come out of it and it now unwound?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it un wound
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Unless you have lots of time and patience it is better to go and get a new spring. I have spent hours trying to rewind some of them back into the housing. If you decide to put it back in let me know once you have the spring in and then we will walk you through the proper procedure for winding it. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ive got the spring back in its caseing just dont know if its in wright as when cutter is back together the cord stays out once its been pulled
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The way you have to do it is like this. Put the pulley that thae rope tie to over the spring and then turn(wind) it until it gets tight. You will then want to back it off until the rope hole in the pulley lines up with the rope hole that goes outside the housing. Hold it in place. You will then want to take the rope and tie a know in one end. Take the other end and run it through the hole in the pulley and then out the hole in the housing and pull it all through until the knot seats against the pulley. You will then tie the handle on. Once the handle is tied on release the pulley and it will rewind.