PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

I have cub cadet model LT1045.To replace a drive belt we are

Customer Question

I have cub cadet model LT1045.To replace a drive belt we are told we need a "special tool" to remove a type of snap ring on the drive shaft.What is it,where do we get it what does it cost???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure what drive shaft you're referring to. Can you be more specific?

If you're talking about a snap ring like the one below, then all you need are snap-ring pliers. These are available at any auto parts, hardware or tool store, ie: Sears. They run about $7-10 for cheap ones. A decent one with multiple tips that will hold up will run about $40. Let me know if this isn't what you're talking about. Thanks, PK.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I beleive you may not be the tech I need I am completely familiar with snap ring pliers etc
This is a specific question concerning a specific engine( KOHLER) in a Cub cadet riding lawn mower..model LT1045.The lower drive belt on this tractor is broken supposed repairs have been attempted to remove the pulley from the motor drive shaft...the repairmen say there is an non standard snapring of sorts that requires a special type tool to remove I guess I need to try and find aCub Cadet repair facility but I am having no luck finding one to answer a very basic question about their products.Obviously the other repair people are having the same difficulties unfortunately my aged uncle is out a sum of money and still has a .sperfectly good riding mower that he cannot even get a belt changed.The "ring" is a solid closed ring resembling an oval racetrackThank you for your time but I guess I will have to drive the 150 miles to see for myself and try to find some one connected to Cub Cadet
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

There are only two pulleys on the engine crankshaft, and one of them is part of the electric clutch. There is no driveshaft which is why I asked for clarification.

There is a motion belt pulley, which drives the belt which drives the transaxle. There is the PTO clutch with the pulley for the deck drive.

There is no clip that holds the clutch or the motion drive pulley onto the driveshaft. There is one bolt that goes into the crankshaft through the center of the PTO clutch. Once you remove this bolt, the clutch comes off.

The motion pulley is not attached by anything else although it is very common for the key to rust to the pulley and crankshaft locking the pulley in place. There are a few options for when this happens and it happens on about 99% of all MTD drive and combination pulleys. This may be what they are talking about. There is a special tool for pulling pulleys off, but it's not necessary and we rarely use it in my shop.

I've done quite literally hundreds, if not thousands, of MTD belts. If you can detail just where this clip is supposed to be, I can help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PK,
Thank you .I just got this message right after I sent you a rather lengthy one I do believe you are probably right...I have been getting all my info via phone I will have to drive down to my uncles place and see for myself and take every thing imaginable to try and make repairs myself. Uncle is generally able to do things himself but he called in supposed mower repair guys and they may be screwwing himI live in Oklahoma ,he lives in Texas I'm going totry to get down there this comming weekend to see what I can do.I do believeyou have earned the !7 bucks already by just responding.How does this work,can you wait till I get down to see for sure what is happened and try to contact you again?
I have to clse for now .work comes early in the morning I'll check in tomorrow .Thanks again
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

You don't have to Accept until we get this fixed.

I would say take some Kroil and PB Blaster. If it's the upper pulley, the one that drives the motion belt, and it's rusted on, the best way to remove it is by spraying above it every ten or fifteen minutes until it comes loose. It can take a day or more worth of spraying.

Usually the reason people want to remove this pulley is because the belt guard is three metal tabs that are a part of the frame and you can't get a new belt between the tabs and the pulley. The way many shops put these belts on, even if they won't admit it, is to not bother with the pulley and instead just bend the tabs back. It takes a long prybar, I use one that's about 3 feet long and one that's about 1 foot long, and a bit of contortion. The other option is to remove the four bolts that hold the engine to the frame and slide the engine back. Moving the engine is actually pretty easy and we do this fairly often as well.

If it's something different he's trying to fix, let me know and we'll go from there. We see a lot of MTD's come in where people are unable to replace the drive belt. Thanks, PK.

PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Pk
Your suggestion is very much appreciated.I make a living repairingcomputer peripherals printers juke boxes etc.Before I go on a service call I try to get as much info about a device from manufacturers as I can.I have been stymied at times when a particular tool was needed only available through the manufacturer of course.I have been known to use unorthodox repairs myself ...whatever it takes.I will use just answer again....for lawn mowers you will be the go to guy
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

Thanks and let me know if you run into any trouble.

You might also want to consider joining Just Answer yourself. We have several categories for electronic and computer devices.