Carey (Turtle) Moore
Carey (Turtle) Moore, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands

I have a small Honda EM 650 generator and it is putting out

I have a small Honda EM 650 generator and it is putting out about 250 Vac instead of 120V. What could be wrong?

Thanks ......... Chris USA
is this a EM6500 if so the selector switch you can move it back to 120 volts. Did you give the correct model?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No it's a small EM 650 Generator

Like this one above.

Thanks ....... Chris

What meter did you use to get this reading of 250 volts. Is the engine running wide open or something?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Fluke 77 Digital Meter, sounds like it's running at normal speed. I'm a Refrig. Tech so I know how to use a meter. Thanks ...... Chris

250 volts thats doesnt seem possible. Someone has been inside and wired to pull of both sides of the armature. I cant see how knowing this gen set how they did it. I will look at the schematic at work. I dont remember diodes on the armature maybe they got one installed backwards. Let me look at the wiring at work tomorrow meanwhile check to see if the outlet was wired in correctly. There has to be something logical here. I will follow up tomorrow evening.
Use your meter and bring the rpms down to 2200 rpm and see what the voltage is. The only other thing i see is if the wrong capacitor was installed. If you have a way to read hertz get it to 60 with rpm if not get the correct capacitor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The owners say's the RPM should be 3600 RPM. The Cap was never replaced. Chris
Here is the manual for testing. I wanted you to decrease rpm to see if you were overspeeding. 240 volts=too many rpm or wrong capacitor. Review the manual for specific details. I hope this helps. Plug in a cheap clock and measure the voltage at the other outlet should be 120 volts.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to fix anything. Chris