TaxTom
TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Operated Lawn Mower business for 20 years. Can find manuals and parts for many brands.
21049508

how do you change drive belt on cub cadet rzt mower

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Which belt are you trying to replace tractor drive or mower drive? Do you have the numbers off of your serial number plate? Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
trying to replace drive belt the one that makes the hydro work
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello, here is the step by step instuctions
If the transmission drive belt becomes worn and
causes the drive transmissions to slip, the drive belt
must be replaced. To replace the drive belt, proceed
as follows:
• Remove the deck drive belt from the PTO clutch
on the bottom of the engine
• From beneath the rear of the tractor, insert a 3/8
inch drive ratchet into the square hole of the drive
idler bracket.
• Using the ratchet for leverage, pivot the idler
bracket and idler pulley away from the backside
of the ‘V" belt; then lift the belt off and above the
engine pulley and off the idler pulley.
• With the belt loose, lift the belt off, up and over
the two transmission drive pulleys. Remove the
belt from the engine and idler pulleys.
• Loop the new belt and slide over and onto the
two transmission pulleys.
• Route the belt above the idler bracket back to the
engine drive pulley. Lift the belt over the PTO pulley
and above the engine drive pulley.
bracket and idler pulley against the spring tension;
then slip the belt down into the engine drive
pulley and onto the idler pulley.
• Release the idler bracket so that the idler pulley
tightens against the back side of the belt and tensions
the drive belt.
• Reinstall the deck drive belt.

Here also is a copy of a RZT manual http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp?BrandCode=10051&LeftNav=true&langId=-1&model_num=rzt&serial_num=13516543
Thank You Tom Please click accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well the problem is it has welded bracket keeping me from putting the belt on or taking it off I cant even get it off
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
There sholdn't be a problem once you get it off thr first idler pulley. Its close but it should come thru the spacing allowed. The trick it usaing the ratchet to pull back the idler pulley. I did give you the right book, I took a guess from your firdt question. Check the numbers and if they don't match I can do some more research. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My zero turn is a 50in cut I got a 42 in and I can change the belt no problem but on the 50in there is a bracket that is in the way the bracket that is in the way keeps the pto in position and it is welded to the frame
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but I checked the instructions and they are the same. I checked the parts break-down jut in case I had forgot something and see nothing that should be in your way. The bracket that holds the clutch should be above where you need to remove the belt. Unless they have a mistake and used a longer bracket on yours. Your only solution to that would be to loosen clutch bolt and let it drop down until belt clears. This is the first of this problerm I have heard of. Tom