J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a EZ-Go Golf cart how do I adjust the drive belt

Customer Question

I have a EZ-Go Golf cart how do I adjust the drive belt?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The drive belt is not adjustable. The motor mounts are adjustable and are set for a new belt. If the belt is excessively loose then the belt needs to be replaced or you have a probelm with either the drive or driven clutch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The belt looks new
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Then you likely a clutch problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the clutch easy to replace & how can I be sure the motor mounts can't take the slack off the belt?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The motor mounts should not be used to tighten the belt due to wear. The clutch requires a special puller to remove it. It may be cheaper to take it somewhere rather than spend the modey on the puller.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine is bolted to the frame, there is a spring loaded knuckle that looks like that would be the only way to adjust?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
What does the knuckle attach to?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The knuckle attaches to in line with the drive belt pulley & the rear end, all three are in line...
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

I have never seen one like that. You could tried to tighten the knuckle a little bit and see if it tightens the belt.