Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

I have an old wheelhorse c125 with a 12 HP kohler engine.

I have an old wheelhorse c125 with a 12 HP kohler engine. It sat for a couple of weeks, and I usually have to spray some THRUST starting fluid in the carb, and it gets it going. This time however, it turns over, but doesn't fire. I checked the power to the coil, and it's getting 13 volts. My question is, I also checked the spark plug wire, and it is also getting 13 volts all the time. Is that right? I thought the purpose of the coil was to send a quick burst of voltage to the spark plug. Any ideas what's stoping it from firing. Is there something else I should be checking.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me which model, spec, and serial Kohler 12hp you have please?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model No: K301AS
Spec No: 47723d
Serial No:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.

This is the point and condensor system on your engine, correct?

If you are getting 12v to the spark plug wire at all times, then you have a shorted secondary winding within the coil. You should have 12v going through the primary circuit (small connectors on either side of the coil), and then when the field is collapsed by the opening of the breaker, high voltage is induced through the high tension lead to bridge the spark plug gap.