sam the tech
sam the tech, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated a small engine shop for 10 years. Certified tech. for Briggs,Kohler,Honda,Kawasaki
16639046

I have a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP Model 135202 that powers a

I have a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP Model 135202 that powers a rear tine tiller. I inadvertantly left gas in the fuel system for several years. I can spray starter fluid in the air intake and it fires immediately but will only run for a few seconds and not pull fuel from the tank. The carburetor is directly mounted to the top of fuel tank with no fuel line. Must I pull the entire carburetor assembly and rebuild? Is the only way to get the old fuel out to turn the tiller on its side or try to siphon? Is it difficult to pull this carburetor assembly off? Would it make sense to replace the entire carburetor as opposed to disassemblying, cleaning and reassemblying the carburetor? The gas tank as a large "sponge type" of filter inside the gas tank. I don't see this on any parts schematic and I'm concerned that it has deteriorated and has allowed debris to enter the carburetor as well.

I would like to repair but not sure how to proceed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  sam the tech replied 7 years ago.

Hi

There is a diapragm on the side of the carb that works like a fuel pump to pull the gas up in the carb you can try replacing that. If that does not do the trick yes you need to remove and clean the carb. The foam in the tank is not a filter it is just to keep the gas from splashing around to much.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would still like to know the best way to drain the old gas, how difficult is it to pull the carburetor and if it would make more sense to replace the entire carburetor.

Hi

Take the carb and tank off as one unit then drain out of fill cap. A little difficult some hard the get to bolts. As for clean or replace is time or money. New carb you know will be good if you try to clean it and don't get it clean you will have to take it off and try again.