TaxTom
TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Operated Lawn Mower business for 20 years. Can find manuals and parts for many brands.
21049508

I have a Model LV195EA , Family 6TPXS.1951BC motor on a lawn

Customer Question

I have a Model LV195EA , Family 6TPXS.1951BC motor on a lawn mower. It was run into something solid & now will not start. The flywheel key has been replaced as it was sheared. Can you help me with the timing of the crank & valves & ignition?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello, The flywheel key replacement should put your ignition back in time. Have you taken the engine apart. Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not taken the engine apart. I need to know the timing relationship between the top dead centre of the piston & the ignition to determine if the crank has any rotational change from the impact.
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Because of the softness of they key its almost impossible to change timing because of impact. The Ignition fires at .030 before top dead center. On the old points and condensor models these settings were more important. The thing you might check is that the ignition coil has made no contact with the flywheel and regap at .010. Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the piston is at top dead centre the ignition coil is off by about 1.5 inches or when the ignition coil is at tdc the piston is .25 inches from the top.
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hello, </p><p>The coil actually would release the voltage near the end of the magnets. Again since its a solid state system it doesn't work the same as the older systems thats why its hard to see when the unit fires. The best system is still to replace the key, set the coil, and check and see if you are getting a strong spark. Unless you are trying to modify system this will work. Here is the repair manual that gives you more details on how it works, page 63 is a good explanation, <a href="http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf">http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf</a> Thanks Tom Please click accept. </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of your information has helped. You have not given me any thing that helpssolve the problem of not starting.
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
<p>We actually haven't even addresed a starting problem. We were discussing timing. Lets eliminate ignition first, unplug kill switch off of ignition coil, Check spark and see if there is any spark. If there is no spark then check coil mounting and see if there is any corrosion, clean coil mounting post and reset solid state. If still no spark then ignition coil is bad. One thing about a solid state ignition sytem it will fire even if out of time. Tom</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the spark quality before I made a request for help & it is good. I still think the crank is the problem. The flywheel is to far ahead of tdc . The piston is too far down when the coil magnet is firing the plug. Is the crank pressed togeather on assembly?
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
The crank is one assembly. Crankshaft are seldom broken by these impacts butare sometimes bent. A camshaft can break and also would throw your valve timing off. If that is the case normal one or other of the valves will not open at all. Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am no wiser now than before I tried to get info on the problem. The tdc and the crank ignition timing that I explained I believe are the reason this engine will not start or run & have not recieved an explaination for this so I am not satisfed.
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
I still may not satisfy you but I will try. The only way timing can be changed by an impact is something is broken, its not a matter of resetting something. Items that can break and throw timing off are 1. Flywheel key, already replaced. 2. Flywheel is cracked 3. Camshaft is broke. 4. In some models the cranksghaft timing gear is pressed on and you can shear that inner key that is made on crankshaft, not likey but possible. I digging deep here but another idea, Tecumseh makes several different flywheel keys and the part number should be 611298. If you will send me your type or spec number which is the number after your model number and should begin with 3.
Also I have been assuming this is a pushmower, when trying to start is the push mower blade on the mower. The engine needs the blade as a counterweight to start. Thanks Tom