Carey (Turtle) Moore
Carey (Turtle) Moore, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands

While going uphill my electric EZGO golf cart did not have

Customer Question

While going uphill my electric EZGO golf cart did not have enough juice to make it uphill. The pedal stuck when I lifted up my foot and then there was a soft "clunking" sound. I allowed the cart to coast backwork until I got it on level ground. I then attached an extension cord and charged up the batteries. However, when that was done and I tried the cart it would not move. I can hear relays and again a soft clunking sound as I put the cart in forward but it will not move. I have tested the batteries and they seem fine. When I put the cart in reverse the buzzer goes off and again the clunking sound, but no movement. I have used an electrical tester and I have power to the relays, to the brain box, and to the motor, but still not movement. Does this mean the motor is shot? Is there a test I can run to determine what part is not working? I appreciate and assistance.
Gary Hickman
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Carey (Turtle) Moore replied 7 years ago.
One of your batteries may have a short internal or you have a bad ground wire with the batteries in series. Climbing the hill made the battery fluid rise to one side. Remove cables and test batteries individually. Batteries may show good but you need to load test them. Find out what the power drop is underload.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your response Turtle. I will test the batteries individually tomorrow. I tested them individually while hook in series but did not test them with cables removed. How do I test each battery individually under load?
Each of the batteries has 3 caps correct?
Each battery should be 6volts
You will need a (Battery Load Tester) or you can take them to local auto parts house and have them tested.

To be simple I would clean all cables and charge as normall then try it. This may save some drive time and you back because those batteries are heavy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry but my computer went offline and I couldn't seem to get back online last night. Each battery does have 3 caps. I will clean the cables today and recharge. I checked the water levels in the batteries and all lead plates were covered with water. I will add some to bring to the bottom of the cap holes. I will get back to you early this afternoon.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I have cleaned termenials on all 6 batteries and added water. None of them were all that corroded or were that low on water. I am again charging the batteries and will try the cart when that is finished. I checked each battery independently and all showed about 6 volts even before I started the charger. To tell you the truth, I don't think this will fix my problem but am willing to try anything at this point.

Battery storage without load is one thing say 6 volts but load test is another it may drop to 4 volts.
Again we have your best interest in mind the ole mighty dollar keeps us in check.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a way to do a load check. I just tried again with all batteries fully charged and still getting nothing but clicks both when I change for forwatd to reverse and also when I push the throttle pedal. It may be the motor is shot.
If you got a meter see if voltage is even getting to the motor.
If it is turn the meter to ohm and measure between the two terminals with the wires off. It may just be the brushes burned from low voltage. You can save a lot of money doing this yourself.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Voltage is getting to the motor. I will go outside and disconnect and try the ohm setting now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I get nothing from the ohm meter when I put the positive on one terminal and the negative on the other. I tried it on both the RX1k setting and the RX10 settings, still nothing. Not sure I am doing this right though.
Yea, about $20.00 for new brushes or the rotor could be damaged from reverse rotation. Remove the motor and have it rewound. You may have to send it off but it is much cheaper than a new one. give me the complete model and serial and i will call local distributor for pricing to give you an idea. YOu just found your problem. Congrats
<br />
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is what is on the motor. Advanced DC Motors, Inc.

Part # XXXXX

Part # XXXXX

Serial # XXXXX

Rating AU2500.FLT SPD 08/26/99

I will post what i find tomorrow evening say 6:00

Thanks for keeping after it. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and get to the root cause. Great job. Lets see what kinda money we are talking about to repair.

thanks again
Ok, the brush kit is available. It is common this model will kick the brush out of place. It is easily repair only you have to take it to someone that does starter,armature and alternator repair. They have the correct brushes to fix it. It is actually cheaper than purchasing the brushes and doing it yourself. they will check the stator and rotor also. The new motor is $631.00 to replace new.
Remove the motor and find a local armature shop and have it repaired. I have done 2 in my life but still had to take to my armature guy to test. They have the proper tools.