J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

John Deere 325 wont start..I turn the key and nothing. It

John Deere 325 won't start..I turn the key and nothing. It worked fine last week and I parked it.
The battery is fine, and I checked the saftey switch under the seat. and it is functioning properly. I checked fuses, wiring for obvious faults and connections, finding nothing. The mower deck switch is disengaged and in proper starting position, what else should i be looking for?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I do
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
You need to locate the solenoid. When you turn the key to the start position you should have power going to the small terminal on the solenoid. If you have no power, you will need to check for power coming off of the S terminal of the key switch. If you have power at the S terminal of the switch with it in the start position, but no power to the solenoid, then you have a bad safety switch or relay. If you have no power on the S terminal then you either have no power getting to the switch or the switch is bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
J.R. no poer coming off the small terminal of soloniod, ignition switch isn't marked with an S terminal, but I checked all terminals and there is no power to the swtich. How do I track back power to the switch?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
If you have no power at all at the ignition switch you may have a blown fuse. Check all of the connections on the battery as well. With the key in the off position you should still have power on at least one terminal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are two fuses on a curcuit board, both are good, I checked these first. Battery connections are clean and tight. I have power to the large terminal on the selonoid. I had to replace the curcuit board once before, could this be the problem and if so how do I confirm. Thanks.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The solenoid should have the hot wire coming from the battery on one of the large posts. There should also be a small wire on that same large terminal. That wire should go to the key switch. If you have power on that wire and and the fuses are good, but you are getting no display lights or anything with the key turned on, then I would say the curcuit board is bad. I do not know of any printed tests on checking the board.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
J.D. Thanks for all the good info, I'll check this out and then replace the board if necessary