Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

briggs and stratton 10 hp ohv oil shutoff switch and or sensor.

briggs and stratton 10 hp ohv oil shutoff switch and or sensor. I really don't need it, mine won't start so I disconnected the oil sensor and it works. What is in the mystical little box and how does it sense oil. How much to replace.

It is on a generator if that matters.

Joel
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 7 years ago.

What this really is is a switch that tells you when there is not enough oil in the engine. It shuts the engine off and won't let it restart so you do not ruin the engine because of lack of oil.

It is really not needed as long as you make sure that they always is enough oil in the engine.

It usually is not very expensive, but you can tell for sure by going to this website and putting you r model type and code number in. It will bring up the entire parts list.

http://www.partstree.com/

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks