Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I ahe a JD 318 W/18 hp Onan, where can I buy a rebuild kit

I ahe a JD 318 W/18 hp Onan, where can I buy a rebuild kit ?
The ONAN engine parts for the John Deeres are getting hard to find. There are several parts that have been obseleted for a while now and the parts that are available are really expensive. Most owners who have good tractors with bad ebgines are repowering them. This may not be what you are looking to do, but it may be the best alternative. See attached link for details.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I read your response, I already know that the rebuild kit is expensive, I asked to know where I can buy the rebuild kit, an 18 hp Onan is an 18 hp Onan engine whether it is in a JD or whatever it is installed in, I will ask again, Where can I buy a 18 Hp Onan rebuild kit, there has to be one somewhere, these engines was manufactured for years, there has to be at least rings , rod , bearings, gasket's, etc. somewhere ?????

See attached link. They will let you know what you can still get.

You can order parts directly from Onan. Go to and input your ZIP code. It will list all authorized dealers near you, as well as the regional Cummins distributor. The Cummins distributor will ship the parts directly to you. You will need to provide them the full model number of your engine.
Without knowing your model number, I can not know what parts are or are not available. But it has been my experience with most older models that most, if not all, parts are still available for the engines.
If you need any other help, let me know.
Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators