Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

how do i rebuild a carb on a 10 hp b&s

how do i rebuild a carb on a 10 hp b&s

First make sure that you have the correct complete carburetor repair kit.

Now take special care when you take the carburetor make sure that you watch and remember exactly how the gaskets come off.

Remove the float pin just pushes out...and remove the float..carefully.. so you can see how the float needle is attached...(Some of them have a small wire spring holding it to the will have to reinstall this spring when you reassemble the carburetor.

Next...remove the float valve seat. most of these have a rubber little seat that you blow out with compressed air. Others have a non-replaceable seat or one that takes a special dealer only tool to replace.. Look around the carburetor and see if it has a small idle adjustment needle...remove this needle if it has one. You are now done disassembling the carb. DO not take anything else out of the carb.

Get a good carburetor cleaner....preferably with a small hose you can attach to the nozzle of the can. Spray the carb cleaner all over the outside of the carburetor. this will loosen the dirt on the outside while you clean the inside. Now spray the cleaner through every hole, and nook and cranny you can fine on the inside of the carb.

When you are finished with the spray,blow all of the passageway clean with compressed air from an air compressor. Also blow all of the dirt from the outside of the carburetor.

Next. Take the entire carburetor to the kitchen sink......Ok maybe it would be better to get a big you don't make your wife mad....and wash the entire carburetor with HOT SOAPY dishwater. This is to make sure that all of the carburetor cleaner is completely washed from the carb...(If it is not, you will deform the new gaskets and such that you install...even if it is dry.) Now rinse in clear watter and then blow the carb dry with the compressed air again.

Reassemble the carb using the identical parts out of the carb kit as you took out. install the float seat,( the carb kit should have a small set of directions to tell you how to replace the rubber seat it you have one) then install the float needle and the float in the same position that you took them out. Check the float level after it is installed. Making sure that when the carb is upside down with the float in the up position, the float should be nearly level with the body of the carburetor. Now reinstall the bowl gaskets the same as you took them off. Then install the bowl nut with the small gasket under it. Reinstall the small idle needle if it had one.

There you are done.

Install the carburetor on the engine and you should be ready to go.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

I read you're feedback that said need more detail...I'm not sure what more you want. This is a step-by-step procedure.

If you need mre, there is a briggs & stratton Repair manual that you can buy from just about any B&S Dealer. or online at:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How to properly connect the linkage and set the adjustment screws.